Clear all

Tailwheel leaf spring

20 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
frogandcd avatar
(@frogandcd)
Topic starter  

I want to replace my tailwheel leafspring on my 1930 GL and need your thoughts on best option. The current spring looks like it was made from a truck spring attached to a Scott 3200 tailwheel. My plan is to rebuild or replace the Scott tailwheel as well as the leafspring. There is quite a bit of negative castor now. My problem is not shimmy but directional control on takeoff until  rudder input comes in to play.  It looks like the Univair springset for the PA12 with 3 springs would work. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I spoke with WACO in Battle Creek . They had no leafsprings in stock and quoted $800 when and if they are avialble in the future. Thank you, Clare Weidman  

John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

I replaced my tailwheel spring (also with a Scott TW) about 10 yr ago.? I believe the blueprints for the spring are here on the Great Lakes group photo/file section.? I just took the print to a spring maker and voila new spring for about $150.? Every larger city has a spring fabricator.

Ranger Mike

Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2019 8:49 AM
To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [greatlakesbiplane] Tailwheel leaf spring

I want to replace my tailwheel leafspring on my 1930 GL and need your thoughts on best option. The current spring looks like it was made from a truck spring attached to a Scott 3200 tailwheel. My plan is to rebuild or replace the Scott tailwheel as well as the leafspring. There is quite a bit of negative castor now. My problem is not shimmy but directional control on takeoff until  rudder input comes in to play.  It looks like the Univair springset for the PA12 with 3 springs would work. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I spoke with WACO in Battle Creek . They had no leafsprings in stock and quoted $800 when and if they are avialble in the future. Thank you, Clare Weidman  

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

Thanks Mike?

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 12:36 PM 'Mike Danielle' mikeda@centurylink.net [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

?

I replaced my tailwheel spring (also with a Scott TW) about 10 yr ago.? I believe the blueprints for the spring are here on the Great Lakes group photo/file section.? I just took the print to a spring maker and voila new spring for about $150.? Every larger city has a spring fabricator.

?

Ranger Mike

?

From: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com>

?

?

I want to replace my tailwheel leafspring on my 1930 GL and need your thoughts on best option. The current spring looks like it was made from a truck spring attached to a Scott 3200 tailwheel. My plan is to rebuild or replace the Scott tailwheel as well as the leafspring. There is quite a bit of negative castor now. My problem is not shimmy but directional control on takeoff until? rudder input comes in to play.? It looks like the Univair springset for the PA12 with 3 springs would work. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I spoke with WACO in Battle Creek . They had no leafsprings in stock and quoted $800 when and if they are avialble in the future. Thank you, Clare Weidman??

ReplyQuote
frogandcd avatar
(@frogandcd)
Topic starter  
Thank you, I am trying to locate the blueprints. Anyone know where they might be ? Appreciate your help

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

I looked back also and didn't find the print.  I'm wondering if they might have been part of the set Harvey used to sell.  If so, I'm not gonna step on his toes.  I'll look around in the hangar for it but It's been a while.  
Ranger Mike

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

Also&I d give some thought about replacing the Scott 3200.? Hard to beat that unit.? Very worthwhile to rebuild/repair.? What s wrong with it?

Ranger Mike

Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2019 11:29 AM
Subject: RE: [greatlakesbiplane] Tailwheel leaf spring

Thank you, I am trying to locate the blueprints. Anyone know where they might be ? Appreciate your help

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

Hi Mike , I agree with you . While it is off the airplane my IA is going to go over it and do necessary repairs  . The biggest problem I am encountering so far is identifying an off the shelf leafspring to replace the worn out 5 leaf truck spring that was on the airplane. This is a learning experience for me and I am grateful for your input. Hopefully I ll be wiser about leafsprings and tailwheels as I work through this . Clare

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:58 PM, 'Mike Danielle' mikeda@centurylink.net [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Also&I d give some thought about replacing the Scott 3200.  Hard to beat that unit.  Very worthwhile to rebuild/repair.  What s wrong with it?

Ranger Mike

Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2019 11:29 AM
Subject: RE: [greatlakesbiplane] Tailwheel leaf spring

ReplyQuote
dana.labounty avatar
(@dana-labounty)
Estimable Member

Any word of the plans that were going to get digitized so we would have access for these situations? D.L.

ReplyQuote
Joe Preston avatar
(@joe-preston)
Noble Member

Someone told me over the weekend that they stopped production of the Lakes. Has anyone else heard that?

Joe  

Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2019 11:49 AM

I want to replace my tailwheel leafspring on my 1930 GL and need your thoughts on best option. The current spring looks like it was made from a truck spring attached to a Scott 3200 tailwheel. My plan is to rebuild or replace the Scott tailwheel as well
as the leafspring. There is quite a bit of negative castor now. My problem is not shimmy but directional control on takeoff until  rudder input comes in to play.  It looks like the Univair springset for the PA12 with 3 springs would work. Any recommendations
you have would be greatly appreciated. I spoke with WACO in Battle Creek . They had no leafsprings in stock and quoted $800 when and if they are avialble in the future. Thank you, Clare Weidman  

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

I spoke with a gentleman named Joe in WACO s parts department last week regarding the leafspring . I asked about this . He told me they are currently building a GL . That they will continue only when they have a customer for one, Clare

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2019, at 9:12 AM, Joe Preston Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Someone told me over the weekend that they stopped production of the Lakes. Has anyone else heard that?

Joe  

I want to replace my tailwheel leafspring on my 1930 GL and need your thoughts on best option. The current spring looks like it was made from a truck spring attached to a Scott 3200 tailwheel. My plan is to rebuild or replace the Scott tailwheel as well

as the leafspring. There is quite a bit of negative castor now. My problem is not shimmy but directional control on takeoff until  rudder input comes in to play.  It looks like the Univair springset for the PA12 with 3 springs would work. Any recommendations

you have would be greatly appreciated. I spoke with WACO in Battle Creek . They had no leafsprings in stock and quoted $800 when and if they are avialble in the future. Thank you, Clare Weidman  

ReplyQuote
Joe Preston avatar
(@joe-preston)
Noble Member

That will also have an effect on parts. It might be a while before they make any tailwheel springs.

Joe  

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: [greatlakesbiplane] Tailwheel leaf spring

I spoke with a gentleman named Joe in WACO s parts department last week regarding the leafspring . I asked about this . He told me they are currently building a GL . That they will continue only when they have a customer for
one, Clare

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2019, at 9:12 AM, Joe Preston
Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Joe  

greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com>

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

I will try to remember to look through my plans, if I find a print for the tail spring I'll try and take a picture of it and share it with the group. I remember reading a post? on this group that Harvey said the heavier Great Lakes that came along later they redesign the tail spring so? I'm guessing the print I might have is the old tailwheel spring

Mike Townsley

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019, 12:36 PM 'Mike Danielle' mikeda@centurylink.net [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

?

?

Ranger Mike

?

?

?

I want to replace my tailwheel leafspring on my 1930 GL and need your thoughts on best option. The current spring looks like it was made from a truck spring attached to a Scott 3200 tailwheel. My plan is to rebuild or replace the Scott tailwheel as well as the leafspring. There is quite a bit of negative castor now. My problem is not shimmy but directional control on takeoff until? rudder input comes in to play.? It looks like the Univair springset for the PA12 with 3 springs would work. Any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. I spoke with WACO in Battle Creek . They had no leafsprings in stock and quoted $800 when and if they are avialble in the future. Thank you, Clare Weidman??

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

Ok.  Found my blueprint more through providence than due to my great organizational skills.  This, I believe, is from the plan set for my build.
This spring handles my heavier Ranger 'Lakes and supports the Scott 3200 very well.
Good luck.
Ranger Mike

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

Mike, Thank you ! Your blueprint and Joe Preston s photo confirms the leafspring on my 1930 GL is correct for the early airplanes. This may have changed on the later models I don t know. So now off to the spring shop to get my tired leafspring back in shape to correct the negative castor . Thanks to each of you that has offered your thoughts and recommendations. You have taught me a lot and I am grateful . Clare

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2019, at 1:04 PM, mikeda@centurylink.net [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Ok.  Found my blueprint more through providence than due to my great organizational skills.  This, I believe, is from the plan set for my build.
This spring handles my heavier Ranger 'Lakes and supports the Scott 3200 very well.
Good luck.
Ranger Mike

ReplyQuote
Joe Preston avatar
(@joe-preston)
Noble Member

Clare,

From the drawing, you should be able to measure the radius to see how far off you are

Joe  

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2019 1:51 PM
Subject: Re: [greatlakesbiplane] Re: Tailwheel leaf spring

Mike, Thank you ! Your blueprint and Joe Preston s photo confirms the leafspring on my 1930 GL is correct for the early airplanes. This may have changed on the later models I don t know. So now off to the spring shop to get my tired leafspring back in shape
to correct the negative castor . Thanks to each of you that has offered your thoughts and recommendations. You have taught me a lot and I am grateful . Clare

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2019, at 1:04 PM, mikeda@centurylink.net [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Good luck.

Ranger Mike

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: