John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
No pictures of the broken parts. Most of the weld is covered by fabric anyway. 
On the bottom tube that runs towards the tail above the tail wheel spring there are two pieces of steel about 1" x 1 1/2" that are welded below the tube parallel to it. Then the Dogbone is welded 90 degrees to the bottom of tube.
So that the welding is done right onto the dogbone. This is where it broke. Where those two pieces of 1" x 1/2" pieces attach to the dogbone, which then slid forward. 
I'm sure that as clear as mud. Hope that helps where to look for cracks. 
   ----Red GL in N. FLA----

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2016, at 14:57, Jeff Edwards jeffed6161@hotmail.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

ReplyQuote
gtg15751 avatar
(@gtg15751)
Reputable Member

Sent photo to you also , this is a single wire attachment but shows location. 
Maybe someone with a project could post better photo:gTG
Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
From: Jeff Edwards jeffed6161@hotmail.com [greatlakesbiplane]
Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2016 21:48
To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com
Reply To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [greatlakesbiplane] Picture of Waco Aircraft Dogbone

On the bottom tube that runs towards the tail above the tail wheel spring there are two pieces of steel about 1" x 1 1/2" that are welded below the tube parallel to it. Then the Dogbone is welded 90 degrees to the bottom of tube.
So that the welding is done right onto the dogbone. This is where it broke. Where those two pieces of 1" x 1/2" pieces attach to the dogbone, which then slid forward. 
   ----Red GL in N. FLA----

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2016, at 14:57, Jeff Edwards jeffed6161@hotmail.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

ReplyQuote
Joe Preston avatar
(@joe-preston)
Noble Member

Attachments :

Here is a picture of mine. Can someone send a picture from one from the 70s model?
    Joe
    image1.JPG
    image2.JPG

Sent from my iPad Mini

On Aug 9, 2016, at 23:22, gtg15751@yahoo.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

----Red GL in N. FLA----

Sent from my iPhone

ReplyQuote
    gtg15751 avatar
    (@gtg15751)
    Reputable Member

I'm jealous, we only have 3 leaf spring!
    From: Joe Preston Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane]
    Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 06:38

Here is a picture of mine. Can someone send a picture from one from the 70s model?
    Joe
    image1.JPG
    image2.JPG

Sent from my iPad Mini

On Aug 9, 2016, at 23:22, gtg15751@yahoo.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

----Red GL in N. FLA----

Sent from my iPhone

ReplyQuote
    Joe Preston avatar
    (@joe-preston)
    Noble Member

That is a spare spring. The ends were cut down to fit in the tail wheel slot. I have another one that is also four leaves, but uncut.

Not sure why these pictures came back upside down. I took them with my iPad.

--

Joe

From: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com [mailto:greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:13 AM
    To: Joe Preston Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane]
    Subject: Re: [greatlakesbiplane] Picture of Waco Aircraft Dogbone [2 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from
    gtg15751@yahoo.com included below]

Joe Preston
    Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane]

Sent:
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 06:38

To:
    greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com

Reply To:

Subject:
    Re: [greatlakesbiplane] Picture of Waco Aircraft Dogbone

Joe

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Sent from my iPad Mini

Jeff Edwards
    jeffed6161@hotmail.com [greatlakesbiplane]

Sent:
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 21:48

To:

Reply To:

Subject:

On the bottom tube that runs towards the tail above the tail wheel spring there are two pieces of steel about 1" x 1 1/2" that are welded below the tube parallel to it. Then the Dogbone is welded 90 degrees to the bottom of tube. So that
    the welding is done right onto the dogbone. This is where it broke. Where those two pieces of 1" x 1/2" pieces attach to the dogbone, which then slid forward. 

----Red GL in N. FLA----

Sent from my iPhone

ReplyQuote
    gtg15751 avatar
    (@gtg15751)
    Reputable Member

I had the PJ(same as GL, even leaf spring) dog bone break its weld at Bolivar MO rough pavement & shimmy. 
    So tacitly ck area after shimmy' ours didn't look out of place until after pushback from selfpump pit.
    From: Joe Preston Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane]
    Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 07:36
    Subject: RE: [greatlakesbiplane] Picture of Waco Aircraft Dogbone

That is a spare spring. The ends were cut down to fit in the tail wheel slot. I have another one that is also four leaves, but uncut.

Not sure why these pictures came back upside down. I took them with my iPad.

--

Joe

From: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com [mailto:greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:13 AM
    To: Joe Preston Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane]
    Subject: Re: [greatlakesbiplane] Picture of Waco Aircraft Dogbone [2 Attachments]

[Attachment(s) from
    gtg15751@yahoo.com included below]

Joe Preston
    Joe@Preston-Company.com [greatlakesbiplane]

Sent:
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 06:38

To:

Reply To:

Subject:

Joe

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Sent from my iPad Mini

Jeff Edwards
    jeffed6161@hotmail.com [greatlakesbiplane]

Sent:
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 21:48

To:

Reply To:

Subject:

On the bottom tube that runs towards the tail above the tail wheel spring there are two pieces of steel about 1" x 1 1/2" that are welded below the tube parallel to it. Then the Dogbone is welded 90 degrees to the bottom of tube. So that
    the welding is done right onto the dogbone. This is where it broke. Where those two pieces of 1" x 1/2" pieces attach to the dogbone, which then slid forward. 

----Red GL in N. FLA----

Sent from my iPhone

ReplyQuote
    John Duncan avatar
    (@john-duncan)
    Estimable Member

Hello Jeff,

You have performed a great service to the Great Lakes community by pointing out the tailwheel problem that you encountered.  Everything that enhances a safer operation makes our Great Lakes flying safer and more enjoyable.  

Within this group lies an immense talent pool; lets utilize our collective experiences for the betterment of all.  

Kindest regards,

John Duncan

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 02:48:30 +0000

----Red GL in N. FLA----

Sent from my iPhone

ReplyQuote
    John Hofmann avatar
    (@johnhofmann)
    Member Admin
    Topic starter  
    I second John's sentiments! 

Sorry about the repeated "action needed" posts, not sure what that was about but I think I solved that problem in my caveman fashion. I mashed some keys on my keyboard and found at least a temporary solution. 

Be the wing , Bill

ReplyQuote
    dana.labounty avatar
    (@dana-labounty)
    Estimable Member

Just took a quick look at my tailwheel/flying wire "dog bone". I don't have the piece on each side that the bolts go through. I do have an extra "finger" on the piece under the spring projecting forward with 2 bolts projecting down. I think it may have been for a tow hook mount as there is a placard on the left side of the aft cockpit "Hook Release".

I will be busy the next several days bailing hay but when I have a chance I will get some pics of this. 1978 version serial #800 if that will help anyone. That being said I would be interested in getting the illustrated parts breakdown if there is any such thing. The rigging/maintenance show the main gear very well but not a thing with the tail. Regards, D.L.

ReplyQuote
    John Hofmann avatar
    (@johnhofmann)
    Member Admin
    Topic starter  
    Hi Dana, Your ship saw extensive training use on a somewhat bumpy grass strip home base. My first Great Lakes logbook entries sport your tail number. Your ship is no stranger to rookie arrivals as newbies sharpened their skills on tailwheel, grass ops, and lack of over-the-nose visibility. The fork in the middle of that runway is somewhat unique, with a sign directing Gliders to the left, all others to the right, and a grove of brush and trees  for those that choose to split the difference.

Be the wing, Bill

ReplyQuote
    Share: