Clear all

Great Lakes Ailrion Attach cups

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
fairchildpilot@gmail.com avatar
(@fairchildpilotgmail-com)
Topic starter  
Happy Holidays all. We are making great progress on the lower right wing assembly and just started laying out the aileron. It appears the aileron rib cup fittings we have and angled. I m thinking they are for the upper wing ailerons. Anyone have a source for these deep drawn flanges? Jon

John Duncan avatar
(@john-duncan)
Estimable Member

#ygrps-yiv-1385696088 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}

Hello John,
Would you happen to have part number for the flange?
John Duncan

From: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com on behalf of fairchildpilot@gmail.com [greatlakesbiplane]
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2018 3:11 PM
To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [greatlakesbiplane] Great Lakes Ailrion Attach cups

Happy Holidays all. We are making great progress on the lower right wing assembly and just started laying out the aileron. It appears the aileron rib cup fittings we have and angled. I m thinking they are
for the upper wing ailerons. Anyone have a source for these deep drawn flanges? Jon

ReplyQuote
fairchildpilot avatar
(@fairchildpilot)

Hi John.  Part number is 60551.  Thank you.  picture attached.  

ReplyQuote
mdcf1815@gmail.com avatar
(@mdcf1815gmail-com)

As we work to assemble this aileron, I'm curious as to the assembly sequence others have used. I thought about starting at one end and working towards the opposite end but there could be other, easer sequences to follow. For example, would it be better to have all ribs and collars on the spar tube, locate and secure the hinge ribs then security the remaining ribs.

Thanks
Chuck

ReplyQuote
Joe Preston avatar
(@joe-preston)
Noble Member

Hi Chuck,

I just went through this with one of my ailerons. Happy to discuss and go over what I did.
Send me a number and a time and I will give you a call.
Joe 

Sent from my iPad Mini

On Dec 25, 2018, at 09:05, mdcf1815@gmail.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

As we work to assemble this aileron, I'm curious as to the assembly sequence others have used. I thought about starting at one end and working towards the opposite end but there could be other, easer sequences to follow. For example, would it be better to
have all ribs and collars on the spar tube, locate and secure the hinge ribs then security the remaining ribs.

Thanks
Chuck

ReplyQuote
mdcf1815@gmail.com avatar
(@mdcf1815gmail-com)

Hi Joe...

Sorry for the late reply. We riveted the collars to the ribs the last two days. Some of the collars flanges are not quite 90 degrees so we're searching for replacements. The other issue is finding the drawing A60363. It appears on the aileron assembly dwg and looks like a "U" shaped piece of sheetmetal riveted to the nose ribs to block off the 1 inch gap on the back side of the three hinge areas. Another question is the thickness of the leading edge sheetmetal. I suspect it's .016  2024T3 but haven't found any reference on the dwgs.
We're on the East coast so EST works for me.  I don't feel real comfortable posting a phone number so I have to figure out a less public way to pass my cell number.
Chuck

ReplyQuote
Joe Preston avatar
(@joe-preston)
Noble Member

Thanks Chuck. I will give you a call later and send some pictures as well.

Joe

Sent from my iPad Mini

On Dec 28, 2018, at 07:59, mdcf1815@gmail.com [greatlakesbiplane] <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Joe...

Sorry for the late reply. We riveted the collars to the ribs the last two days. Some of the collars flanges are not quite 90 degrees so we're searching for replacements. The other issue is finding the drawing A60363. It appears on the aileron assembly
dwg and looks like a "U" shaped piece of sheetmetal riveted to the nose ribs to block off the 1 inch gap on the back side of the three hinge areas. Another question is the thickness of the leading edge sheetmetal. I suspect it's .016  2024T3 but haven't found
any reference on the dwgs.
We're on the East coast so EST works for me.  I don't feel real comfortable posting a phone number so I have to figure out a less public way to pass my cell number.
Chuck

ReplyQuote
Share: