Clear all

Beacon Tail Light

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
b2brown2001 avatar
(@b2brown2001)
Topic starter  

I have a 1976 2T-1A-2.  I recently noticed the red beacon light (?Grimes) that sits on the top of the tail was out.  I removed and replaced the bulb with a similar 12V quartz halogen bulb, but now it doesn't slowly flash (not sure that it did before).  I also have the same beacon unit on the bottom  of the plane.  I checked the bulb inside it and to my surprise it was an automotive incandescent 12V bulb, completely different from the tail unit. 

1.  Does anyone know who manufactures the beacon light on the 1970-80s Great Lakes?

2.  What is the correct bulb to use?

3.  Is there a separate  "flasher" transformer that causes the bulb to flash?  If so, where is it located?

4.  Has anyone replaced the beacon with one of the newer LED flashing beacons (Whelen or Aveo)?  I don't ever fly at night, but I do fly in the Los Angeles basin and I like to be seen.  Not sure I like the prices though.

Brian Brown

John Duncan avatar
(@john-duncan)
Estimable Member

#ygrps-yiv-1742654491 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}

Hello Brian,
As I recall, Hoskins manufactured the strobes.  I suspect they can provide you with the appropriate information.
Regards,
John Duncan

From: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com on behalf of b2brown@adelphia.net [greatlakesbiplane]
Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 8:51 PM
To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [greatlakesbiplane] Beacon Tail Light

I have a 1976 2T-1A-2.  I recently noticed the red beacon light (?Grimes) that sits on the top of the tail was out.  I removed and replaced the bulb with a similar 12V quartz
halogen bulb, but now it doesn't slowly flash (not sure that it did before).  I also have the same beacon unit on the bottom  of the plane.  I checked the bulb inside it and to my surprise it was an automotive incandescent 12V bulb, completely different from
the tail unit. 

1.  Does anyone know who manufactures the beacon light on the 1970-80s Great Lakes?

3.  Is there a separate  "flasher" transformer that causes the bulb to flash?  If so, where is it located?

4.  Has anyone replaced the beacon with one of the newer LED flashing beacons (Whelen or Aveo)?  I don't ever fly at night, but I do fly in the Los Angeles basin and I like
to be seen.  Not sure I like the prices though.

Brian Brown

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin

Replaced all the lights on 2T-1A (N333H) with Whelens, which re-used all the wiring after by-passing the master strobe unit.  Negligible current draw, and now I look like a 747.

Wayne

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019, 11:32:25 AM PST, John Duncan johnaduncan@msn.com [greatlakesbiplane] wrote:

Hello Brian,
As I recall, Hoskins manufactured the strobes.  I suspect they can provide you with the appropriate information.
Regards,
John Duncan

From: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com on behalf of b2brown@adelphia.net [greatlakesbiplane]
Sent: Tuesday, January 1, 2019 8:51 PM
To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [greatlakesbiplane] Beacon Tail Light

I have a 1976 2T-1A-2.  I recently noticed the red beacon light (?Grimes) that sits on the top of the tail was out.  I removed and replaced the bulb with a similar 12V quartz
halogen bulb, but now it doesn't slowly flash (not sure that it did before).  I also have the same beacon unit on the bottom  of the plane.  I checked the bulb inside it and to my surprise it was an automotive incandescent 12V bulb, completely different from
the tail unit. 

4.  Has anyone replaced the beacon with one of the newer LED flashing beacons (Whelen or Aveo)?  I don't ever fly at night, but I do fly in the Los Angeles basin and I like
to be seen.  Not sure I like the prices though.

Brian Brown

ReplyQuote
Share: