A winged gift.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

A while ago, I had the pleasure of taking Diane for a surprise birthday flight. She had been aggressively battling cancer and had gotten a good report. Her husband surprised her with the gift. We looped and rolled across the skies as we danced with the clouds.  I learned the cancer wasn't cured and Diane recently lost her 11 year battle with that retched disease. Last night I sent her husband my condolences. He replied, the ride in the Great Lakes was a high point for them, they reflected on it often and enjoyed sharing the event with friends and family, that ride was a very important positive event in their lives. Her husband did not ride with me that day, they wanted it to be her gift. He asked would I be willing to take him along someday so he could experience what Diane did. When he's ready I have an open seat in the Great Lakes for him. 

Be the wing, Bill

John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Good show Bill,
I spent 60 years flying and it's nice to be reminded of what a ride can do.
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 12:14 PM, "billstockl@msn.com [greatlakesbiplane]"
wrote:

A while ago, I had the pleasure of taking Diane for a surprise birthday flight. She had been aggressively battling cancer and had gotten a good report. Her husband surprised her with the gift. We looped and rolled across the skies as we danced with the clouds.  I learned the cancer wasn't cured and Diane recently lost her 11 year battle with that retched disease. Last night I sent her husband my condolences. He replied, the ride in the Great Lakes was a high point for them, they reflected on it often and enjoyed sharing the event with friends and family, that ride was a very important positive event in their lives. Her husband did not ride with me that day, they wanted it to be her gift. He asked would I be willing to take him along someday so he could experience what Diane did. When he's ready I have an open seat in the Great Lakes for him. 
Be the wing,
Bill

ReplyQuote
jungsterbipe avatar
(@jungsterbipe)
Eminent Member

Bill, I am sorry to hear of Diane's passing.  That was a very special gift you gave her and it is so neat to hear a Great Lakes Sport Trainer in the hands of a loving soul like you can do some valuable ministry.  Bill, you are on the wing!  Diane's husband will be looking forward to that ride for sure, and probably seeing Diane riding with you. God bless you, Pastor Mike in Iowa

ReplyQuote
Mark avatar
 Mark
(@mark)
Trusted Member

Good on you Bill!
Most memorable flight of all for me are those who've been able to do similar for.

From: "billstockl@msn.com [greatlakesbiplane]" To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, November 8, 2014 12:14 PM Subject: [greatlakesbiplane] A winged gift.

Be the wing, Bill

ReplyQuote
Joe Preston avatar
(@joe-preston)
Noble Member

Hey Bill,
Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you could do a fly by over the service?
Joe

Sent from my iPad Mini

On Nov 8, 2014, at 12:14, "billstockl@msn.com [greatlakesbiplane]" <greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

A while ago, I had the pleasure of taking Diane for a surprise birthday flight. She had been aggressively battling cancer and had gotten a good report. Her husband surprised her with the gift. We looped and rolled across the skies as we danced with
the clouds.  I learned the cancer wasn't cured and Diane recently lost her 11 year battle with that retched disease. Last night I sent her husband my condolences. He replied, the ride in the Great Lakes was a high point for them, they reflected on it often
and enjoyed sharing the event with friends and family, that ride was a very important positive event in their lives. Her husband did not ride with me that day, they wanted it to be her gift. He asked would I be willing to take him along someday so he could
experience what Diane did. When he's ready I have an open seat in the Great Lakes for him. 

Be the wing, Bill

ReplyQuote
John Hofmann avatar
(@johnhofmann)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
Joe, I've had the honor of flying memorial flights. If it was something they wanted and I was contacted about doing so, I would have if conditions permitted. I was thrilled to be a part of their celebration during happier times. It was only the other day when I learned how that hour aloft echoed positively in their lives. I was moved and felt it worthy of sharing with the group. You don't have to be an aviator to be the wing.  Bill

ReplyQuote
John Duncan avatar
(@john-duncan)
Estimable Member

Very well said, Sir! Kindest Regards,

JD

To: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com From: greatlakesbiplane@yahoogroups.com Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 12:04:50 -0800 Subject: Re: [greatlakesbiplane] A winged gift.

Joe, I've had the honor of flying memorial flights. If it was something they wanted and I was contacted about doing so, I would have if conditions permitted. I was thrilled to be a part of their celebration during happier times. It was only the other day when I learned how that hour aloft echoed positively in their lives. I was moved and felt it worthy of sharing with the group. You don't have to be an aviator to be the wing.  Bill

ReplyQuote
Share: